Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Books vs. Webkinz, at home

Somehow I let myself get roped into Webkinz No. 2--this one, which Y dubbed "Elizabeth." Well, she does read, although when she gets mad she tells me she's never going to read another book again.

Recently, she has read the following:

The Cobble Street Cousins series (Cynthia Rylant)
Lady Lollipop (Dick King-Smith)
American Girl short stories
Kids Speak (Chaim Walder)
Rebbe Mendel Presents: The Secret of the Red Pearl (Nathan Sternfeld)

On and off, she also likes the Bailey School Kids series. I'm not crazy about it despite the fact that it's written by two school librarians.



I'm reading her a historical fiction book about the first Chanukah--narrated by a girl scribe acquainted with the Cheshmona'im (the Maccabees)--called Alexandra's Scroll. It's not bad, and Y is really into the descriptions of living near the Bet Hamikdash (the Holy Temple in Jerusalem). I also read her The Firebird (Gennady Spirin illustrated).

Interestingly, she's developing an eye for book evaluation. Some time ago I had picked up a children's picture book by Wendy Wasserstein, figuring it was probably pretty good since she was a playwright adn that Yvette would like it because she likes musicals. It's called Pamela's First Musical and it is about a girl taken to her first Broadway musical by her eccentric, clothing designer aunt who knows lots of theater professionals. Anyway, the writing was overdone and the story didn't flow well, I discovered as I was reading it to my daughter. Afterward, she told me she didn't think the story was so good. "Too many words, and everything went here and there and was confusing," she told me, quite accurately. I just checked the published reviews and they weren't good either.

No comments: