Thursday, February 28, 2008

The (evil) book fair(y)

Yep, that would be Scholastic. Or is it me, the bibliowhore, who'll sell anything from nonworking pens to low-grade PDAs at a supposed "book fair" just to pad my meager budget?

2 comments:

Leora said...

Scholastic. Marketing, marketing, marketing. They sent me a book once, said it would be free, and then sent me a bill for the next one. I called them, returned the second book, and said I will never order from them again. Which isn't true, because they own all the book order companies that my kids bring home. I've told my kids: "Can you say evil marketers?" when they ask for what's ever on the cereal box. Same for the child book company.

Theo Huffman said...

Oh no! Say it ain't so! I have such wonderful memories of clutching a handful of coins and my Schlastic order blank in my sweaty little hands, and giving them to my fifth grade teacher. And then the thrill when the box arrived at school and she started handing them out.

But I guess things were different in the 60s. The world wasn't quite so hard-sell as it is today.