Saturday, October 25, 2008

So I quit my job...

...in a dream. My sister, who in real life DOES live in Las Vegas, had convinced me and another single mom in town to move to LV and get jobs there. No problem, everyone needs librarians, right? So, there we am walking down this big hall in LV to, presumably, the board of education. The other woman is a math teacher. Anyway, after walking and walking we reach the end of this hall, where at a long table is sitting....aaargh....the deputy superintendent of schools in my REAL district. I am dismayed to see her (as I am in real life--she is really frightening) and wondering what she is doing in Las Vegas. "So," she says to me, smirking, "How do you expect to make a living in Las Vegas?"

"Well, um," I said. "I am applying for a librarian job in the school district here." She continues smirking, then informs me that Las Vegas has just eliminated all of their school libraries due to lack of funding.

Twice, I am thinking in a panic, this has GOT to be a bad dream. Wake up, wake up. It is not a dream---I don't wake up. I know that she is dying for me to beg for my old job back so she can refuse me.

Finally, I wake up. It is a bad dream. Clearly, I am telling myself that I should appreciate the job I have.

1 comment:

Theo Huffman said...

Ah! Dreams! Now you have stumbled into one of my life-long pursuits. As a practitioner and advocate of dreamwork, I would recommend "working" this dream a bit and not being content with the rather simple conclusion that your subconscious is telling you to be happy with the job you have. (Though that is not a bad conclusion, mind you.)

Answer some questions:

Who is this math teacher to you? What qualities do you identify her with? What virtues or weaknesses?

Other than being where your sister lives, what are your associations with Las Vegas (Sin City!)? Why is this the background against which this inner drama takes place? How do you FEEL about Las Vegas?

What other interactions have you ever had with this assistant super? Other than scary, what qualities do you associate with her?

Did the building with the long hall this took place in remind you of another building, or a combination of other buildings in your waking life? What are your associations with those buildings? What happened there?

What was the overall emotional tone of the dream or the parts of the dream? How do you feel to remember it?

That should give you alot to chew on. If you don't want to be so public about it, you can e-mail me the answers.

Remember: there are no right or wrong answers, and no final conclusive answers in dreamwork. The point is to discover things by exploring.

Love,

Theo (The Scribbler)