Tuesday, November 20, 2007

If We Ever, Heaven Forbid, Elect a Republican Again...

...at least let it be this one, Howard Mortman. At least I would have a connection to the White House! (old college buddy). He has a wickedly funny blog (yes, I find it funny even though Howard and I never agreed on anything political), too, Extreme Mortman. His doctored image of himself as Sexiest Man of the Year is almost, but not quite as funny as Theo baked into a loaf of bread.

Howard has the honor of being the first Jewish Republican I ever met besides my grandfather, whom the rest of the family just thought of as being politically off his rocker because he was religiously off his rocker (in other words, Orthodox. Now that I am Orthodox I suspect there are members of my family wondering why I'm not Republican yet).

Anyway, having grown up in a heavily Jewish and liberal town, to me being Jewish and liberal/p went hand in hand (in certain respects I still believe this though I'm more middle of the road politically than I used to be). So I was shocked when, in my first month of college, I met Howard, proudly and openly Republican. His older brother, I remember, blamed Howard's politics on teenage rebellion. Anyway, having gotten his start with Bush Admin No. 1 (I think--I mean, this really goes way back), Howard appears to have become a highly successful political commentator. I mean hey, his blog gets REAL ads! Cool!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the glory days of Peter, Paul, and Mary.
Finest piece we ever ran! A heckuva interview.
Great hearing from you, o anonymous one. And thanks for your vote of confidence. Rest assured I'm not running for office -- so your family is safe.
But glad to see you're blogging -- and a great blog at that.
Thanks again for stopping by and saying hello.
-- fellow anonymous grad

Helen T. said...

Yes, my first celebrity singer interview. (My second was Jon Bon Jovi unless you count Hungarian celebrities).

By the way, you might like to hear my husband's response to "Oh come on, honey, come watch "An Inconvenient Truth" with me":

"You watch. I don't like Al Gore."

Please keep up the comments! Not many people know about this blog...got to get the word out to those I DON'T work with.

Theo Huffman said...

Oh, the things we're willing to suffer for traffic. My stats jumped the day SDS stuffed me into a loaf of bread in effigy. Anyone else ready to lampoon me? Please?

As far as your friend is concerned: Republicans are people, too. At least that's the rumor ;-)

My oldest sister is a Republican. It happens in the best of families.