Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Good reasons to return to blogging, part 1

I spend way too much time on Facebook. Partly because I can't get out of the house at night; partly because it's a great way to easily, at least virtually, connect with one's faraway friends and local community (mere acquaintances don't do it for me). But lately I'm starting to get "friended" on Facebook by people I don't want to have anything to do with. It's not that they're evil people, they are perfectly nice; it's just that in some cases they are pests by nature and I know if I "friended" them I'd never stop being pestered by them and their pet obsessions. Or when it comes to others, well, I post a lot of stuff up there in general and I don't feel everyone and anyone, just because I see them around or knew them in a past life, has the right to see it all. At the same time, I feel...uh oh...what if I see these people in town and their feelings are hurt because I didn't "friend" them? Or those that are far away and from past lives, will they keep pestering me through mutual friends on FB. I think this whole thing is getting out of control. So I pose this question: what do you do when someone tries to "friend" you and you don't want to?

1 comment:

Leora said...

I'm kinda into just using the internet for non-vulnerable stuff; for me, posting artwork is a release in itself.

Maybe you'll just have to invite some friends over to your house at night, if you can't get out.

Or just, eh, say, so what if so and so reads my stuff.

I'm not sure if you'll find any perfect answer.